Monday, April 19, 2010

Reflecting

15 years ago today an event occurred in Oklahoma City that forever changed my life. Growing up there was a family in our ward that had moved to OKC just prior to the bombing and unfortunately the father of this family was among the victims of this horrible event. I have had the priveledge of going to OKC a couple of times now and every time I have gone to the memorial sight. It is amazing and was so well done. I remember the day and all of the news coverage. For a couple of days no one knew if Paul was in the building at the time of the explosion. He was among the missing for a couple of days. This was also an incredible spiritual experience for me as well. You see my dear friend Poiette and I decided to fast for the finding of Paul. I do not believe that they ever found him, but I remember vividly sitting in the school cafeteria having to explain to others why we were not eating. It was my first true experience of fasting and I am so grateful for it! It was amazing the comfort that I felt during this time and I have never forgotten it. How powerful fasting and praying really is. I am so grateful for the knowledge of the Gospel that I have and for the countless blessings that I receive from being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I an grateful for the knowledge of eternal families and for the opportunity that we all have to be a part of one. May the Lord's comforting hand be upon those families of the victims of the Oklahoma City Bombing and may we all strive to keep their memories alive!

1 comment:

Chris and Michelle said...

That was so touching, Rae Lynn! I too think it's important to remember such events...!
It rattled me a little the other day when I heard it was the 15th anniversary of the OKC bombing...I was only 15 yrs old and seriously it seems like just a couple years ago that it all happened! I remember being so shaken by it and I followed all the reports about it so closely on the news... What a trageday it was! Thanks for sharing the impact it had on you personally & how our testimonies can be strengthened through the difficult situations that arise in our lives.