Sunday, December 6, 2009

To Shoot or Not to Shoot ... That is THE Question

As many of you know, I have 4 very young children who are very close in age. Just how close...9 months between the first two, 14 months between the next one, and 15 months between the last two. Yes you read that correctly there is not even a 2 year gap between all three of my older children. Oh and did I mention that the oldest is only 5? As you can imagine or may even know things around here can get pretty hectic and simply ridiculous at times.

Just over two years ago I took a huge leap of faith and opened my own photography business. I have loved it as it provides me with an opportunity to get out of the house and let my creativity flow. Not to mention the amazing moments that I have been involved in and the incredible people that I have the chance to meet. However, so much is going on at home from just the everyday upkeep to trying to get two kiddos ready to start kindergarten, to potty training, and so on and so on that I strongly feel that something has to give. I absolutely LOVE photography and am truly going to miss it. However, I have waited to be a mother for so long and this dream is here and is now. I do not want to regret anything in life especially when it comes to raising my children. I love them so dearly and the time is just flying by.

So I have prayed about this decision and feel that I need to let the photography go. It is so time consuming from the shoot which usually takes about 4 hours including all the preparing, driving, and the shoot itself. And then there is editing. Oh my how that can go on and on. I haven't even mentioned the "business" aspect of it all. Don't get me wrong it is all a beautiful thing but there truly is a time and a place for everything including talents and/or hobbies. Right now my time should be and needs to be devoted to my beautiful family.

Thank you all so much for your trust and support. This decision has not been an easy one but I know it is for the best right now for me and my family.

8 comments:

Amie said...

I've definitely heard that it's a time-consuming profession! You'll get back into it one day for sure. You have talent. But it's totally all right for you to focus on your little ones right now! They have talents you can work on in the meantime. :)

Nicole said...

I was talking with my manager at work and told her sometimes I get torn between working more and my family. She said "You know when you are knocking at deaths bed you are not saying I wished I worked more." I appreciated her understanding. There is a season for everything and how wonderful that you have a skill to fall back on. Also thank you for that testimony of praying and recieving answers to questions. GOOD LUCK and we need to meet you at Carambas!! You know they have a patio where all of our kids can run and play!!!

Camie Walworth said...

Hooray for you!! I am so proud of you...Keep taking pics of those cute kids..they make the best clients!!

Love you!!

camie

Amber said...

Our prayers are with you and I will miss your gorgeous pictures, you can take fun ones of your family and friends, it'll just be a hobby for now =) Great job and I have learned that when you follow the Lord's plan EVERYTHING works out and fits in it's own place. Love ya doll!

Jeanerbee said...

Good for you to be able to embrace the season you are in... it really IS hard work and I admire you as a mother! Good luck with things... you are right that photography will wait and one day you will return to it with no regrets!

Jenni said...

Wow - I am shocked! I know you have been pondering this for some time, i will be sad to see you leave for a while, your pictures are beautiful. However, I really love that you are taking the time to be a mommy and are going to focus on your beautiful children!

Good Luck!

Teri said...

Just think..... in a few years all of your kids will be at school all day.. then you will have more time.. Thats how I think of it! Then i can actually take classes ect... I feel like they grow so fast that I dont want to miss out on them now... Being patient allows us to not regret missing the little ones grow! You're awesome!

Jaime said...

Good for you for knowing what's most important. I didn't get the viewing email? My email is tjandjaime@yahoo.com. thanks Raelynn your the best!!!