Thursday, June 4, 2009

"are you having a party or something?"

Let me start out this post by acknowledging that we are a peculiar people!  I don't know how all of you all out there store your water, but let's just say that about 7 years ago we bought 2 55 gallon drums and they are still empty!  I don't know why but I am scared to death to treat the water with bleach or chlorine.  

Anyhow, so we have chosen to store our water by buying either the cases or gallons.  Well, Safeway has their water on sale for really cheap and I went and bought 20 cases worth!  The gentleman that helped me load this up asked me if I was having a party.  I said yes a couple of them.  What I should of said is no I am trying to be prepared.  Little does he know that is only 10 days worth of water for my family and the sale is good until Tuesday, so I will be back, just not tonight!  

Also, just as an FYI for those of you who are following the madness here in our home, I did order 5 newspapers one week and one week only.  That was way too much work and too time consuming for me.  However, I still do love me a good bargain.  Tonight is a great example.  As you know I bought 20 cases of water, 5 lbs. of sugar, and 4 cases of raspberries.  My total was $63.43 and my savings was $65.52, that is 51%!  I think if I continue to shop like this I will never order another Sunday paper for coupons!

Go on and get prepared!  It feels so good and is money well spent!

6 comments:

Castle Family said...

I checked out Honeyville Farms today. Their prices are amazing. Better than the cannery in some cases. And supposedly cheaper than their online prices too if you ever feel like treking out to Chandler :)

Rae Lynn said...

Good to know...thanks!

Courtney said...

Good job on the great savings! There is a girl in my ward that has actually made money off of the grocery store because of all the coupons and extra papers she gets. It's insane! Maybe one day I'll be that good. It feels so good to be prepared!

Amie said...

Our barrels are still empty. Ugh. I feel guilty every time I look at them.

Where are you keeping your water, incidentally?

Christine said...

I'm all freaky weird about treating the water with bleach too. We've got bottles and gallons stored in a closet!
For the pictures can we do early morning, like 8? Would that work?
I think I missed a call from you yesterday, we were at the lake. I was going to call you back to see but my new phone doesn't have everyone's name in it yet so just numbers show up on the missed call list. It looked like yours but I wasn't sure =)

Amber said...

Congrats!! That's awesome! Still trying to get on the bandwagon here... Hey I have all 10 of the backdrops ready and done for you, they've been ready a while, but alas I'm here in San Diego, I'll get them to you when I'm home!!