Thursday, February 3, 2011

Another Confession...

To say that I am not familiar with where the books are located in the scriptures is an understatement. As you may know, this year in Gospel Doctrine we are studying the New Testament. For the first time ever I am taking the time to go through the lessons and read through them and the correlating scriptures prior to class. In fact I am on lesson 14, which is totally off the subject. Anyhow, reading through these lessons has really been great for me. It has helped me to focus on studying certain topics and not just reading the scriptures straight through...not that there is anything wrong with that. Also, as an added bonus, I can take as much time as I need to find the book and not feel stupid in class as everyone around me can open right up to it in no time. I know that this is silly and that no one even notices that if I don't know where the book is I will just kind of stare into space. Stupid I know but it's true!

I thought that perhaps I would share a scripture that really stood out to me tonight in my reading. In the special session of conference that was help recently for the people of Arizona, I found great comfort in something that was said. I do not remember it word for word but basically it was stated that the Lord gives plenty of warning, through the prophets, before anything happens. In this world we are living in I needed to hear this. In Amos 3:7 it reads: "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." If you follow the footnote for a it translates the word "but" into "until". I love how the servants of the Lord can say things so plainly and simply and that this Gospel is so plain and simple! It is absolutely astonishing to me how much is given in the scriptures right there for anyone and everyone to read for themselves!

One more awesome scripture that I will share is found in Alma 5:46. This explains what feeling and/or having personal revelation feels like..."Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me". Seriously, could you have said it any better yourself? I know I couldn't!

So, I guess the moral of this post is if you ever happen to be lucky enough to sit by me in Gospel Doctrine I promise I won't embarrass you! :) and THE CHURCH IS TRUE and how LUCKY we are to have it!

2 comments:

BLY and LOU said...

you are so awesome! thank you for sharing your wonderful testimony!!! love ya

Christy said...

I love the New Testament, but I do get confused where everything is. I'm enjoying the marriage class, but I'm sad I'm missing NT. :) I love your thoughts.