Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mmmm...so yummy!

Because of Lonnie's current work schedule we always eat "dinner" for lunch. So today for lunch I made something new and it was the first time that I have ever made soup from scratch. (My Grandma Shipe would be so proud!) It was awesome! Here is the recipe.

Potato Soup
1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
1/4 cup water
5 cups cubed potatoes
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 1/3 cups cubed carrots
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups skim milk
2 cubes chicken bouillon

Saute green onions in 1/4 cup water in a large skillet until tender. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups water. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine in a medium saucepan. Add flour, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Gradually add milk and bouillon. Cook and stir until mixture thickens. Add to vegetables. Enjoy!

** Anyone who knows me know that I did NOT put the celery in. However, I did put in a bag of frozen corn.**

2 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds so yummy...I would leave out the celery too...anything that takes calories to eat isn't worth eating. Love your new background! So cute!!

Camie Walworth said...

Sounds yummy...my Mom taught me a quick timesaver for Potato soup...you can use frozen hashbrowns (the little cube ones) instead of peeling and chopping your own...no one will ever know!!