Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bravery or Stupidity

So I have really been wanting to incorporate more of our food storage into our everyday cooking/baking. So here's what I am going to do. Only use store-bought milk for drinking and use powdered milk for baking and cooking. Also, I am going to start using my powdered eggs and, here's a really big/scary one, I'm going to use beans for oil and butter in baking. I also found a place that has recipes for making your own sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and condensed soups. I don't know why but it seems like just about every recipe I use calls for cream of chicken or mushroom soup. I'm excited to try them out.

I'm sure that this will take some getting used to but I really do want to see how much I can save and how easy it is to use "food storage". Hopefully soon I can get everyone drinking powdered milk too! We'll see. Do any of you use your food storage regularly? If so, what have you found works the best for you?

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Were did you get your powdered eggs? That is something I have been wanting to get but wasn't sure the best place to get it at a good cost. Good Luck!

Camie Walworth said...

I am impressed!!

Teri said...

I love the powered eggs.. its so convenient!!! and in baking you cant taste a difference.. I also use powdered milk when I make bread, cinnamon rolls, or dinner rolls:) Let me know how the beans go :)

Rae Lynn said...

Courtney I got mine at Honeyville Farms. It is a drive but holy cow do they have amazing deals. In fact I have a current price sheet that they send me in e-mail if you would like I can forward it to you!

Courtney said...

I would love that thanks Rae Lynn. Is ist in Mesa?